Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Calendar Math

I've changed up calendar math and started implementing a new journal. While my students started out a little slow, they are getting the hang of it now! And the fact that they get to use a highlighter -OH EM GEE! ha It's the little things with kinders and it makes my heart happy! :)
Students write their name and highlight: the day of the week, month, and year. Then, they write: the date, date in #s, number of days in school, and it's place value. Afterwards, students illustrate the weather. Keep in mind, this is something that has to be done whole group for quite.a.while. My students are just now getting to a place where they can do this independently. This journal is great to pair up with Stephanie's monthly calendars. You can find those {here}. Click on MY image for your free calendar journal download. What do you do to assess students during calendar math? 

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing - you have such great ideas! I really appreciate your creativity with things that I can so quickly and easily use in my classroom!

Erin Eberhart said...

Whoo hoo, that's what my blog is for! I get so inspired from other teachers too...blogging is my new obsession! Can't wait to hear what you do with it! :)

Cindy Hutter and Tanya Wildman said...

This is great! Thank you so much! I plan to try it very soon with our cowpokes.

Gina said...

UM, WOW! I love this!!!!!!!

Rose said...

Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to use it.
The Wonderful World of Kindergarten

Tiffani said...

I love this, but have a question. Does every kid complete one of these pages everyday? I have 32 kids and a very limited abut of copies i can make, just wondering how you do it. I love the idea!

Anonymous said...

Great share! I just got a promethean board and am thinking I could put that up so the kids could do it up on the board together for awhile before starting to do it on their own. Thank you.
Krissy
Mrs.Miner’s Monkey Business

DrDiva said...

LOVE THIS!!!!!! Can't wait to use it!!!!!

Erin Eberhart said...

Mrs. Mugurussa....32 kids?!?! Holy cow. There is a special place in heaven for you. I started out (while introducing) by having every child complete a page, daily...but now they are doing it individually and it is in a math workstation. So only 4 kinders are completing a page a day, totally my whole class at the end of the week! Hope that helps!! :)

CathyH30 said...

WOW!! these are such wonderful ideas!! I LOve it!!!I'll def keep up with your blog!! THANKS!!!

Shea said...

Love, Love, Love this!! do you happen to have one with the next years on it? 2012-2013. This is so perfect for K. Just enough to keep them thinking, but easy enough for them to eventually complete independently!! Thank YOU!

nanc said...

I loved your calendar journal last year. Do you have an updated one for this year with 2013 on it? I would love to have a copy to use again this year. Thanks for sharing!!!!

Carlen said...

This is a great way to keep everyone engaged during calendar time. do you have a printable for 2013-2014?