Friday, September 9, 2011

"I Can" snag a freebie!

With the implementation of Common Core standards, my school system is mandating essential questions or in the lower grades...I can statements. They are requiring them to be written on our boards so when administration is making their rounds, they can easily identify the goals being taught. While I know my teacher bloggy friends are quite familiar...for my parents - "I Can..." Objectives are a technique of presenting objectives to students in the form of declarative statements. Before, during, and after learning, students rank their ability to successfully do what the "I Can..." asks of them. I've been jotting down my lesson's "I Can" statements on the board each week, and just wasn't pleased with their overall appearance. I wanted it to get students' attention and look cute all at the same time, so I created this:
Thanks to a friend, my plan is to write my units' statements on sentence strips, laminate, and re use each year.  They'll be posted below the "I can" sign and changed out as needed. Click the picture to download your freebie!  ~Miss E

9 comments:

Amanda K. said...

I am officially obsessed with this!!!! Thank you!
Mine are boring, but after this weekend..they won't be!

Amanda
Third Grade Meanderings

Tracey said...

I do something similar, but I really like your visuals. I am such a visual learner myself, I am always trying to appeal to that type of learner!

http://our-cool-school.blogspot.com/search/label/Learning%20Focused%20Strategies

Chrissy said...

Thanks for sharing! I've been writing "I can..." charts with my kinders!

ReadWriteSing

Deedee Wills said...

My goodness! Love this! Love this! Love this!

Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

Tanya said...

Great! I love that, thank you for sharing.
☺ Tanya
First Grade is Fantabulous!

Pocketful of Littles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danielle Weyershaeuser said...

I love your "I Can" statement sign. I actually added this to my classroom a few weeks ago. I am tight on space as my SMARTboard took up most of my board. I put it on my cabinets and my 7th graders loved it! If I forget to review our statements for the day, they remind me. Thanks again!

Erin Eberhart said...

Awesome Danielle! I'm so glad you can adapt it to meet your 7th graders' needs. That's awesome. Post pics! :) Thanks for checking my blog out!
Erin

PLNaugle said...

Thank you for sharing your great "I Can Statement" header. It will be posted tomorrow in my fourth grade classroom.