Monday, July 2, 2012

Monday Made it: Library Clips

So......one of my many summer projects was to label all the books in my book tubs. The way my library is set up now works well, but when a student takes a book out of a book bin...there is no guarantee it will be put back in the right bin. I've found Christmas books in my Nursery Rhyme tub and 5 senses books in my Fall/Apples tub - it's a headache! I wanted to print the same label that's on the front of my tub onto smaller address labels and stick them on every book that's in the tub. That way, all students have to do is match the picture to ensure their book goes right back to where it belongs. BUT - holy smokies....Office Max doesn't make enough labels. That would take me forever, not to mention the ink. I have mucho books! 
So while I was searching Pinterest the other day, I ran across this great picture! This woman is Einstein! Source: Teaching is a Work of Heart
This is truly an awesome way for students to remember which tub they pulled a book from! They simply clip their clothespin to the bin where they got their book. Super smart! Now - I got to thinking though...with 25 students next year (projected) that will be a lot of clothes pins, writing names, etc. So, I thought I'd make my own. When students are in library center, there is typically no more than 5 students. Therefore, I wouldn't have to make a clothespin for every child in my room. I thought to myself - why not color code them? Maybe little Susie wants a pink clothespin and a book from the Pets and Wildlife tub. She'll simply clip her clothespin to that tub and when she's done look for her PINK clothespin because that's the color she chose. Easy Peasy -right? Well, here is what I came up with.
Whatcha think? I like the arrows because it serves as a reminder..."Hello - you got your book from this tub! Put it back here, follow the arrow!" I can't wait to get them to school and try them out. Sure beats printing a million and one labels. Simply download the arrows, cut, laminate, and secure to clothespins. Just click the image below to grab your freebie. Do you have a better way of ensuring your books go back in the right bin without using labels or hundreds of dot stickers? Please share! Leave me your thoughts on this, please. 
I'm linking up with Tara over at 4th Grade Frolics! I'll be back this week with my Currently and another giveaway! YOU won't want to miss this one - trust me! Happy Monday.

22 comments:

Jessica Ann Stanford said...

Love the clothespin idea! I would have never thought of that!!
Blessings,

Jessica Stanford
Mrs. Stanford's Class
I hope that you'll join me for my giveaway ♥

Brandi said...

I just blogged about my library yesterday and one of my questions was about checking out books! Would love for you to stop by sometime!

Brandi
Success in Second Grade

Katy said...

Love the arrows! I'm attempting to finally label all my books... but I'm LOVING this arrow plan. I just might have to try it! Thanks for sharing!

Katy
Kindergarten Katy

Emily said...

Great idea with the clothespins! Thanks for teaching me something today. =)

Emily
I Love My Classroom
www.ilovemyclassroom.blogspot.com

Tara said...

Hi Erin! So glad you linked up! I had to laugh.....I got through my books usually weekly and find the same thing.....and then I freak! Like why is the reptile book in the autobiographies?!?!?!?!?! Seriously people and they are 4th graders!!!! Love your idea! Gonna have to think about how I could incorporate it into my library. I only let the kids "shop" for books on Monday mornings and then they fill their book luggage for the week. Thanks for linking up:))

4th Grade Frolics

Miss Nelson said...

This is so helpful. I love them!

Kindertrips said...

Super idea!
Jennifer
kindertrips

Camille said...

Erin, Your library is beautiful. WOW!!! I want my library to look like that!!

To keep my books organized I used an idea from The Sisters of Daily Five fame. I label each library crate with a name (eg. Reptiles) and a number (12). Each book in the tub has a white circle sticker on front with that number. That way my students can keep books at their desks, in their book bags, etc. and when they are ready to return the book, they just look at the number and find that tub. I try to keep my tubs in numerical order around the room. And, yes, I have gone through lots of round stickers.
This system works really well for me. Hmmm .... I guess I should blog about it!
Camille
An Open Door

Unknown said...

Love the idea of using clothespins, and arrows!
My book boxes have letters on them that match with a letter I wrote in the corner (cover) of each book with a sharpie. It's pretty simple, but works really well too. The subject "Nonfiction animal books" is written on the basket too, but the kids know it more as basket E, and put all the books with an E in the corner back there when they are done.

Cassandra said...

This is an amazing idea. Even though my books are all labeled there are still those few books that don't get put away properly. These little clips are cute and hopefully the kids will want to use them. Added insurance that they get put away properly! Thanks!
Adventures in Room 5

Tanya said...

OMG! I love the clothespin idea! YAY! Thank you for posting about it.
☺ Tanya
First Grade is Fantabulous!

  said...

I love that idea! The only problem I have is that I teach 3 different grade levels and I can't even wrap my mind around how I would use this in my classroom.

Cara
The Teacher's Backpack

Lana said...

What a great idea to use clothespins! I would have never thought about that!!

The Tot School Mama said...

Simple, yet genius! Thank you, this'll work great in my room next year :)

Jennifer Jasewicz said...

Your class library is to die for. I love the green walls and the palm tree. You have insprired me to rework my library this summer! I love your clothespin idea!

Liliris
Fourth Grade Garden

Wolfelicious said...

Love the clothespin idea!! I think I might need to do that too. I have my books labeled but the students still don't put them back correctly. Love your library and the zebra rug!!

April
Wolfelicious

Creative Undertakings said...

That's a SUPER cute idea! Also? I'm in LOVE with your library decor :)

-Anisa
Creative Undertakings

Kelly said...

Thanks for the reminder, I saw this on pinterest, but had totally forgetten about it.

I'm your newest follower.

Kelly @ I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

Tangelia C. said...

What a great idea! And its super cute! My only fear is that I'll have students fussing over "I want that color!"

Teaching Joys said...

I love your blog! I found you through the linky! I am obsessed with your library! I am doing a similar theme in my classroom and I hope mine turns out as cute as yours! I am having a giveaway over at my blog and would be honored if you stopped by!

Teaching Joys

Unknown said...

love love love this idea! I can't wait to do this! :) THANKS!
Always A Lesson

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. I love your classroom library. I want to visit and curl up with a good book! I am giving away a $20 TPT gift certificate. Come visit and enter to win! :)

Delighted in Second